Website Kermode Friendship Society
Reporting to the Kermode Aboriginal Head Start Coordinator, the bus driver will operate a 24 passenger bus over designated routes to transport pre-school children, including children with special needs to and from the pre-school and on related field trips.
More specifically this position will be responsible for:
- The safe Transportation of up to 24 passengers on a daily basis for up to 5 hours per day,
- Performing daily pre-trip bus inspections in accordance with Motor Vehicle Act Regulations: Division 10-Motor Carriers: Section 11.09 (1-3) including a first aid kit check,
- Arranges for the routine scheduled maintenance of the bus in accordance with the warranty, the Motor Vehicle Carrier Regulations and annual Motor Vehicle Inspection Reports,
- Keep interior and exterior of bus clean,
- Ensures children and other pre-approved bus passengers are seated and legally secure prior to departure.
- Reviews parent addresses that require bus service for their child(ren),
- Maps out the most efficient and safest route for child/youth pick-up and drop-off,
- Ensures the bus stays on schedule,
- Ensures the bus has adequate levels of fuel, and related liquids
- Ensures that the bus is used to service Kermode Aboriginal Head Start families as a priority.
- Management of Child Passenger Behavior and Ride Along Escorts with briefings from ECE workers,
- Pays close attention to the behaviors and requirements of special needs passengers,
- Able to immediately document and report any unusual occurrences or incidences on the bus to the Kermode AHS Coordinator through submission of an incident report form,
- Applies any corrective behavior actions or disciplinary measures within Kermode Aboriginal Head Start discipline policies and procedures,
- Must be prepared at all times to enact emergency procedures in the event of fire, accident, mechanical breakdowns etc,
- Maintains a current Child Safe First Aid Certificate.
Qualifications:Minimum grade 12 education, possess Class 4 unrestricted driver’s license with high quality drivers abstract, possess Child Safe First Aid equivalent or be willing to undertake sponsored training, minimum 3 years school or community bus driving experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: knowledge of Motor Vehicle Act Regulations as it relates to motor carriers & school buses, possess superior bus operation and defensive driving skills, applies ability in planning and organizing bus routes, possess child passenger management skills, must enjoy working with children & working in a team setting.
Manadatory Requirements: TB test and up-to-date immunization record, annual doctors verification for fitness to work, successful completion of a criminal records check, sign a code of ethics & confidentiality agreement, must complete a medical clearance form annually & vaild Child Safe First Aid or equivalent.
To apply submit: a cover letter, resume & 3 reference contacts. In accordance with Canadian Immigration laws, our employment ads are directed to citizens and permanent residents of Canada. We thank all applicants for their interest in joining Kermode however,only those qualified will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org